Thursday 13 February 2014

Miserable? No, that's not me... I'm just sensible and logical.


THE commodity is back! Yes, I'm talking about Valentines Day. 


a. A person of the opposite sex chosen, drawn by lot, or otherwise determined, on St. Valentine's day, as a sweetheart, lover, or special friend for the ensuing year.

According to the Oxford English Dictionary definition of 'Valentine', every year on the 14th February, many individuals take the opportunity to express their love for a special person in their lives. In my case, those reading this may have the pleasing pleasure of being my valentine for 2014.

What does Valentine's Day mean for you? 

Personally, I believe that Valentines Day is a load of lumber. I think that it's all about making money, finding ridiculous excuses to be overjoyed, and an opportunity for society to highlight those single resulting in them being secluded from the rest of us. I will argue until I'm thoroughly enjoying eternity the three main explanations to why Valentines Day isn't my cup of tea. Speaking of a cuppa, I'd make yourself one now as you plough through my questionable opinions. 

1. Love (Yes, I've dropped the 'L' bomb) isn't just an action, it's a feeling...

If you love someone - whether that be in a marriage, civil partnership, relationship or for some a friendship, love towards them should always be recognised and shown. Love is an overwhelming feeling which may influence the things we do. In my opinion, love should be expressed 365 days a year and we shouldn't manipulate our actions for one day; that's what advertising, songs and the hyped up society in which we live in tells us to do.

2. Express you love 365 days a year, not 1...

As I said above, 365 days a year... If my calculations are correct, you should express you're love for someone special through feelings and actions 8760 hours a year. 24 hours of sudden romance and large gifts is just silly. Yes, I understand the novelty of Valentines Day for some individuals although, it's not for me.

3. In the words of Jessie J: 'It's all about money, money, money!' Why should we please the capitalists whilst they get 'turned on' by disgusting amounts of cash sat there which can be used for good?

Oh I do love the Morrison's television advert on Valentines Day - eighteen roses for £10... WOW! Oh, let's not forget the Marks & Spencer's 'seductive' two can dine for £20. I appreciate the offers and personally think it's great that we can save money, but this so called 'Valentines Day' is beginning to be used as a target for us to spend, spend, spent.

Everything above is all my opinion. I appreciate and respect peoples' approach to whatever situation, but this is my opportunity to say Valentines Day is not for me. Now, with my 'good samaritan' head on, I'd like to wish you all the best of love for the next 365 days (as I type sarcastically).

Happy spending money, happy pleasing those at the top, happy Valentines Day! 

1 Comments:

At 13 February 2014 at 15:02 , Blogger Unknown said...

I absolutely agree with the above Sam Poole... Maybe I'm an unromantic - who knows, but we shouldn't just show our love for just one day a year !! Someone should buy me gifts for 365 days a year :P (cause I'm greedy, possibly worth it HA! IMHO)
But seriously in my opinion the event is just another money making event pressuring the public into buying gifts for their loved ones..... makes these gestures when you want too,not when your forced- that's not romance !!!!

Peace out

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home