Tuesday 24 June 2014

BBC Radio Journalism Apprenticeship: Not my time... yet!


So I've received that email I've been waiting for. Have I made it onto the BBC Radio Journalism Apprenticeship Scheme at Radio 4?

Unfortunately not...          
                                    ... for this year at least! 

After a rigorous application process that consisted of an online assessment, shortlisting and a further two interviews in Central London, it has been decided that the place I aspire to work does not wish to have me just yet. The apprenticeship scheme was open to 18-25 year olds who have no qualifications in journalism, don't have a degree, but have GCSE's. Bear in mind I was just only 17 when I had my first interview at Broadcasting House on 06th May 2014, I feel as If I did a pretty good job. 

After two weeks of waiting, I received a phone call from the Recruitment Team inviting me to a second and final interview on Friday 06th June 2014. This time around, I felt even more optimistic and determined to be walking through those reception doors as an employee. The imagery of me training for one of the most respected corporations which presents outstanding journalism was breathtaking.  

As soon as I read the phrase "we regret to inform you that you have been unsuccessful", I was surprised that my heart didn't sink. In fact, I didn't seem upset at all. Don't get me wrong, I was gutted, although I know I have exciting opportunities ahead. Through remaining optimistic, determined and enthusiastic (don't forget curiosity, willingness to learn, no day is the same etc..), I understand that I will get to where I wish to be . You see with the media industry, it's seriously competitive to get an interview, let alone the job. Therefore, you have to walk into these situations with your machine gun fully loaded, ready to fire at people the reasons to why you would be an asset to the employer. 

News such as this takes me back to my conversation with Huw Edwards at Broadcasting House. I told him how I saw the interviews' as an achievement and that if I was unsuccessful, the ample experience of it all is brilliant. Shaking his head, he highlighted that there will always be a way in to your aspired job if you continuously strive to get there. I guess if your heart is really for something, then nothing can shoot you down. 




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home