Monday 7 July 2014

Mrs Browns Boy's D'Movie: My Opinion

For me, Brendan O'Carroll's Mrs Brown's Boys episodes' broadcast on the BBC are a brilliant opportunity for my family to really laugh. In fact, it has to be told that they are one of my most favourable comedy acting pieces. The film on the other hand (or shall I say Mrs Brown's Boys D'Movie) didn't work out for me. The chemistry with the big screen and the laughable triggers of my brain were bewildered.

The film opens with a camera pan around the bedroom of Mrs Brown that really gives the audience an idea on the kind of environment she is living in. With granny pants, tights and slippers scattered on the floor, as well as a beeping alarm clock in which the prime character is oblivious of whilst sleeping, some giggling took place. The mise-en-scene is pivotal in adding effect to some dialogue. I really appreciate how each scene is framed to show us little fractions of the home that often contribute to the principles characteristics.

The acknowledgement of the movie being a BBC film lead me to being humble towards what I was about to watch. I was pleased to be sat there knowing that the content consumed throughout was British. Immediately after Mrs Browns awakening from her pit, it was nothing but cheese. The five or so minutes that felt like a life time were rammed with corny old 'lady' dancing and seriously amateur choreography which the cast delivered. For a second, I turned to my sister with slight hesitation and thought of 'what on earth is this?' Don't get me wrong, I enjoy corniness and cheese, however I wasn't overly prepared for it in the opening scenes. If anything, I'm ready to see it at the end of the live studio episodes broadcast on television each week.

If you're a keen viewer of the live studio performances which are aired, you'll understand that they follow a storyline, although spontaneous mistakes and jokes make it enjoyable and funny to watch. A prime example would be when the actors' forget their lines and improvise along with the cast. The film itself had elements of these, but they seemed attempted and false which in my opinion blew up all the humour of getting something wrong. The D'Movie followed a narrative of a councillor (and a group of Russian's) wishing to close down a market street in order to build, however the local village decided otherwise and were prepared to fight back. It all seemed a little too directed which gave it this predictable feeling - something you wouldn't feel throughout the episodes. The jokes and audio between characters seemed ever so slightly reserves and staged which wasn't my cup of tea.

Another area that really was playing on my mind was a particular moment in the film when Mrs Brown walks up the concrete stairs towards the court rooms. The non-diegetic music of You Raise Me Up by Westlife distracted the comedy and made you feel as if you were watching some poor Eurovision acting.

The character Buster continue's to be one of my favourites. His unpredictable deliverance of what he utters and his background story's revealed are laughable. The horse which became highly symbolic throughout elements of the film was taken well in the cinema. Also, the bloopers at the end were a real laughing stock; they seemed to be real rather than staged. Maybe if a few more of them were implemented into the film, the audience would feel as if they're watching it live.

To summarise, Mrs Browns Boy's D'Movie wasn't my most favourable and was very similar to what I was expecting. Although I could see others thoroughly enjoying themselves, which was great to see. I guess if you're a true Mrs Browns Boy's fan, the film would be right down your street. Remember, regardless of what people may be saying, it doesn't prevent it soaring through the Blockbuster chart.







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home